Re: [Tigers] Urban legend

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Urban legend
From: Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 15:28:33 -0700

--------------74E3EC07DB125DA05301638F

I'd be curious to know if the successor Alpine (the Baby Barracuda) had
any "Tiger-izing" considerations? While not a sports car it would have
been an interesting concept given that the USA was in the pony car phase
at that time. The later Alpine likely met regulations for importation at
the time as a number of them were sold here. Then again I doubt it would
have been Ford Small block powered. And what would have been the
Chrysler 273/318 at the time is a rather wide small block engine. Mike
Taylor's "The Making OF A Sports Car" states that the Humber Super Snipe
had?? number of prototype's built with the Chrysler V8. Hence my
curiosity regarding the possibility of a later Alpine with a Chrysler V8.

 ?? In a sense we probably need to be grateful that we got three full
years of Tigers. If I recall correctly the imports were given a 2 year
delay in meeting standards that I believe were mandated for '65 or '66
for USA cars.

On 3/8/2020 1:39 PM, Ken via Tigers wrote:

> [...]
>
> Ken Tisdale
>
> On 3/8/2020 12:30 PM, Buck Trippel via Tigers wrote:
>>
>> The best and most authoritative answers to the why the Tiger was
>> discontinued that I???ve found are in the collection of Papworth papers
>> housed in the Culture Coventry Archive at the Herbert Museum in Coventry.
>>
>> Mr Papworth was a very high level ???planner??? for Rootes. He reported
>> to a very select group, comprised mainly of family members who were
>> the heart of the Rootes board. After his retirement he donated
>> thousands(?) of pages of notes and memos. I???ve spent several days
>> reading them and want to go back.
>>
>> Mr. Papworth lays out a very comprehensive Tiger story. The Tiger
>> represented only 2% of Rootes??? sales and was consequentially just a
>> blip on management???s attention. Tigers were barely mentioned in board
>> meetings as the high production Imps and Hillmans dominated the
>> discussions. The Mk1s & 1As sold well. The Mk2 that was built was not
>> the Mk2 that the engineers had designed and tested (with upgraded
>> 5-bolt 14??? wheels to fit 4-wheel discs, the same 3-puck calipers used
>> on Aston Martins and street Cobras) and the resulting lack of initial
>> sales seemed to be the straw that broke the camel???s back. But
>> Papworth also outlines other contributing issues.
>>
>> Rootes engineers determined that Chrysler V8s would not fit in a
>> Tiger. They explored alternatives including one that would have been
>> built a new ???Tiger??? with fiberglass body in the USA. Obviously none
>> of those alternatives worked out.
>>
>> After Lord Rootes passed away his brother, Reggie, assumed control.
>> Reggie wanted to replace the Alpine/Tiger with a smaller sportscar
>> that was similar to a Spitfire. That car, ???Apex???, had been designed
>> and was very close to production when a sub-contractor tripled the
>> initial cost estimate for its fiberglass body. That ended Rootes???
>> attempt at a replacement sportscar.
>>
>> The US government had long imposed standards for the cars it
>> purchased for government use ??? the GSA standards. These existing GSA
>> standards were eventually adopted for all cars sold in the US. The
>> Alpine/Tiger platform would have needed upgrades to comply. Tooling
>> for these would have been costly on a per unit basis due to low
>> production volume.
>>
>> The space used at Pressed Steel to build the Alpines and Tigers was
>> needed by another Rootes vehicle which was high production and
>> therefore a higher priority. Assuming Rootes would accept the cost of
>> upgrades to comply with GSA standards, where could the Alpine/Tiger
>> be built? Rootes looked at alternatives including moving the entire
>> Alpine/Tiger production from Pressed Steel to Jensen. At one point
>> Rootes even offered to purchase Jensen. Jensen refused. The move
>> never happened. Rootes never found an alternate contractor to build
>> the cars.
>>
>> Papworth cites all of these factors in the decision to end Tiger

  <head>
  </head>
      Barracuda) had any "Tiger-izing" considerations? While not a
      sports car it would have been an interesting concept given that
      the USA was in the pony car phase at that time. The later Alpine
      likely met regulations for importation at the time as a number of
      them were sold here. Then again I doubt it would have been Ford
      Small block powered. And what would have been the Chrysler 273/318
      at the time is a rather wide small block engine. Mike Taylor's
      "The Making OF A Sports Car" states that the Humber Super Snipe
      had?? number of prototype's built with the Chrysler V8. Hence my
      curiosity regarding the possibility of a later Alpine with a
      Chrysler V8.<br>
      full years of Tigers. If I recall correctly the imports were given
      a 2 year delay in meeting standards that I believe were mandated
      for '65 or '66 for USA cars.<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:94673577-c165-1424-ffa4-98e2aff2c025@ix.netcom.com">
        spend time going through the archives!</p>
        via Tigers wrote:<br>
        cite="mid:006201d5f577$9bac2080$d3046180$@verizon.net">
          charset=UTF-8">
          medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-size:10.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
            to the why the Tiger was discontinued that I???ve found are in
            the collection of Papworth papers housed in the Culture
            Coventry Archive at the Herbert Museum in Coventry.<o:p></o:p></p>
            ???planner??? for Rootes. He reported to a very select group,
            comprised mainly of family members who were the heart of the
            Rootes board. After his retirement he donated thousands(?)
            of pages of notes and memos. I???ve spent several days reading
            them and want to go back. <o:p></o:p></p>
            comprehensive Tiger story. The Tiger represented only 2% of
            Rootes??? sales and was consequentially just a blip on
            management???s attention. Tigers were barely mentioned in
            board meetings as the high production Imps and Hillmans
            dominated the discussions. The Mk1s &amp; 1As sold well. The
            Mk2 that was built was not the Mk2 that the engineers had
            designed and tested (with upgraded 5-bolt 14??? wheels to fit
            4-wheel discs, the same 3-puck calipers used on Aston
            Martins and street Cobras) and the resulting lack of initial
            sales seemed to be the straw that broke the camel???s back.
            But Papworth also outlines other contributing issues.
<o:p></o:p></p>
            V8s would not fit in a Tiger. They explored alternatives
            including one that would have been built a new ???Tiger??? with
            fiberglass body in the USA. Obviously none of those
            alternatives worked out.<o:p></o:p></p>
            brother, Reggie, assumed control. Reggie wanted to replace
            the Alpine/Tiger with a smaller sportscar that was similar
            to a Spitfire. That car, ???Apex???, had been designed and was
            very close to production when a sub-contractor tripled the
            initial cost estimate for its fiberglass body. That ended
            Rootes??? attempt at a replacement sportscar.<o:p></o:p></p>
            standards for the cars it purchased for government use ??? the
            GSA standards. These existing GSA standards were eventually
            adopted for all cars sold in the US. The Alpine/Tiger
            platform would have needed upgrades to comply. Tooling for
            these would have been costly on a per unit basis due to low
            production volume. <o:p></o:p></p>
            the Alpines and Tigers was needed by another Rootes vehicle
            which was high production and therefore a higher priority.
            Assuming Rootes would accept the cost of upgrades to comply
            with GSA standards, where could the Alpine/Tiger be built?
            Rootes looked at alternatives including moving the entire
            Alpine/Tiger production from Pressed Steel to Jensen. At one
            point Rootes even offered to purchase Jensen. Jensen
            refused. The move never happened. Rootes never found an
            alternate contractor to build the cars.<o:p></o:p></p>
            the decision to end Tiger production.<o:p></o:p></p>
              class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
              href="mailto:tigers-bounces@autox.team.net";
              moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;tigers-bounces@autox.team.net&gt;</a>
            <b>To:</b> Curt Bowland <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
              href="mailto:cbowland@msn.com";
moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;cbowland@msn.com&gt;</a><br>
            <b>Cc:</b> tigers <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
              href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";
moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;tigers@autox.team.net&gt;</a><br>
            <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Tigers] Urban legend<o:p></o:p></p>
                  style="font-size:24.0pt;font-family:&quot;Times New
                  Roman&quot;,serif">The demise of the Sunbeam Tiger was
                  that they did not sell very well.?? The USA import regs
                  for cars would require expensive modifications to the
                  car.?? So in February 1967 the decision was made to
                  finish the cars that were in the line and send them to
                  Canada.?? Everything about not fitting a Chrysler
                  engine is just a</span>??<span
                  style="font-size:24.0pt;font-family:&quot;Times New
                  Roman&quot;,serif">rumor.??</span><o:p></o:p></p>
        <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";
moz-do-not-send="true">tigers@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers";
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a> <a
class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive";
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/ktisdale@ix.netcom.com";
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/ktisdale@ix.netcom.com</a>

</pre>
      <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Ken Tisdale
303-807-5488</pre>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/atwittsend@verizon.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/atwittsend@verizon.net</a>

</pre>

--------------74E3EC07DB125DA05301638F--

--===============9218266973040479450==