Re: [Tigers] Urban legend

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Urban legend
From: Ken via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 14:37:07 -0600
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=ix.netcom.com; b=RdnrIybQhknPzAtyB95LJc6LSiT+aMbk1vMHo/d/SnT8P7bbuMaIFCGUi2YVSVrHqI3GuABFcMLdxJ1t+geQPYaGRMUHW+KsuVP5wCDfB8KQpNqpq1TlL3My9KhttnBiTClDo2yDT0ujqDxMkFi6akLkpDi6up0U1rTNmyu38RA5bKSmSOjI21p6QZfzeoSclyKufyb+qeLTeo3UFR65W0mxhiwvUFy+WlaBOJFbZC9G/v1CrVi408a1QCE4S3YMgk0wdgeqQKhyXi0uzgybyPgIz8bTJbXrwCp2s5QqkK1i8pHuWcvpwNv+wglglCOsjj76itOAq64rqMJPQTa0xQ==; h=Received:Subject:To:References:From:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Language:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--------------AE168AAE38CFDBDCEDF13AD9

Very Lotus like!

Ken

--
Ken Tisdale
303-807-5488

--------------AE168AAE38CFDBDCEDF13AD9

  <head>
  </head>
      Tigers wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAAjp1z495wqGgv_N9iKLuiyFcCKD1RPVLceTJ5Y0rR_J4zrLZg@mail.gmail.com">
        (at least that I can remember).  Just did a search and came up
        with these great pictures and info.  Love the hardtop!
            href="http://tardis.dl.ac.uk/Mercia/killeen_book/node13.html";

moz-do-not-send="true">http://tardis.dl.ac.uk/Mercia/killeen_book/node13.html</a> </div>
          AM Buck Trippel via Tigers &lt;<a
            href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";
moz-do-not-send="true">tigers@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                answers to the why the Tiger was discontinued that Iâ??ve
                found are in the collection of Papworth papers housed in
                the Culture Coventry Archive at the Herbert Museum in
                Coventry.</p>
                â??plannerâ?? for Rootes. He reported to a very select
                group, comprised mainly of family members who were the
                heart of the Rootes board. After his retirement he
                donated thousands(?) of pages of notes and memos. Iâ??ve
                spent several days reading them and want to go back. </p>
                comprehensive Tiger story. The Tiger represented only 2%
                of Rootesâ?? sales and was consequentially just a blip on
                managementâ??s attention. Tigers were barely mentioned in
                board meetings as the high production Imps and Hillmans
                dominated the discussions. The Mk1s &amp; 1As sold well.
                The Mk2 that was built was not the Mk2 that the
                engineers had designed and tested (with upgraded 5-bolt
                14â?? wheels to fit 4-wheel discs, the same 3-puck
                calipers used on Aston Martins and street Cobras) and
                the resulting lack of initial sales seemed to be the
                straw that broke the camelâ??s back. But Papworth also
                outlines other contributing issues. </p>
                Chrysler V8s would not fit in a Tiger. They explored
                alternatives including one that would have been built a
                new â??Tigerâ?? with fiberglass body in the USA. Obviously
                none of those alternatives worked out.</p>
                brother, Reggie, assumed control. Reggie wanted to
                replace the Alpine/Tiger with a smaller sportscar that
                was similar to a Spitfire. That car, â??Apexâ??, had been
                designed and was very close to production when a
                sub-contractor tripled the initial cost estimate for its
                fiberglass body. That ended Rootesâ?? attempt at a
                replacement sportscar.</p>
                standards for the cars it purchased for government use â??
                the GSA standards. These existing GSA standards were
                eventually adopted for all cars sold in the US. The
                Alpine/Tiger platform would have needed upgrades to
                comply. Tooling for these would have been costly on a
                per unit basis due to low production volume. </p>
                build the Alpines and Tigers was needed by another
                Rootes vehicle which was high production and therefore a
                higher priority. Assuming Rootes would accept the cost
                of upgrades to comply with GSA standards, where could
                the Alpine/Tiger be built? Rootes looked at alternatives
                including moving the entire Alpine/Tiger production from
                Pressed Steel to Jensen. At one point Rootes even
                offered to purchase Jensen. Jensen refused. The move
                never happened. Rootes never found an alternate
                contractor to build the cars.</p>
                in the decision to end Tiger production.</p>
                  href="mailto:tigers-bounces@autox.team.net";
                  target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">tigers-bounces@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                <b>To:</b> Curt Bowland &lt;<a
                  href="mailto:cbowland@msn.com"; target="_blank"
                  moz-do-not-send="true">cbowland@msn.com</a>&gt;<br>
                <b>Cc:</b> tigers &lt;<a
                  href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net"; target="_blank"
                  moz-do-not-send="true">tigers@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
                      style="font-size:24pt;font-family:&quot;Times New
                      Roman&quot;,serif">The demise of the Sunbeam Tiger
                      was that they did not sell very well.  The USA
                      import regs for cars would require expensive
                      modifications to the car.  So in February 1967 the
                      decision was made to finish the cars that were in
                      the line and send them to Canada.  Everything
                      about not fitting a Chrysler engine is just
a</span> <span
                      style="font-size:24pt;font-family:&quot;Times New
                      Roman&quot;,serif">rumor. </span></p>
            moz-do-not-send="true">tigers@autox.team.net</a><br>
          Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a>
            target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
          Unsubscribe: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/jay.laifman@gmail.com";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/jay.laifman@gmail.com</a><br>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/ktisdale@ix.netcom.com";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/ktisdale@ix.netcom.com</a>

</pre>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Ken Tisdale