Re: GT-6 engine conversion

To: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com
Subject: Re: GT-6 engine conversion
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 13:48:31 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>With the correct clutch plate it should be a snap installing a TR6
>engine into a GT6.
>
>Except:
>
>The carb setup on a TR6 engine may not fit under the bonnet. I don't
>know for sure, but it's a tight fit with CD150s. I don't know if
>CD175s will fit with their air cleaners.
>
>Also, you can expect to rebuild/replace your gearbox and final drive
>more often with a high-HP engine.
>
>Personally, I think you'd be happier with the 2-liter engine. It revs
>better (shorter stroke) has plenty of torque and matches the gearbox
>nicely. And it is hard enough on the drive train, as it is.
>
>It's also original.
>
>Purely IMHO, of course.
>
>Larry
>lesnyd@monsanto.com

Larry,
 Interesting you should be commenting on this subject.
 A Line participant in Austin has done the conversion, and I am in
process of building a "Street" engine for the same conversion. Also,
Nick out on the West Coast has the same designs in mind.
 The only problem seems to be the intake system when using the early TR6
engines for this conversion. There are several methods to correct the
intake problem. Everything from using the stock GT6 intake with the
CD150s to creative machine work on the intake manifold to modifying the
bonnet to make room.
 It's amazing how creative some of the folks on this line can be when it
comes to modifications.
 In doing this conversion, it is advisable to use the TR6 tranny. The
biggest disadvantage to the GT6 tranny is that the lay gear is bronze as
opposed to the TR6 which has a steel lay gear. Trying to replace a lay
gear is about as costly as buying a rebuilt tranny.
 Another thing to consider in this conversion is the final gearing.
 With the increase of torque and bhp, "high" gears could present a problem.
The standard non-o/d GT6 gears  of 3.2.7. should be great. The little 2.l
engine lacks the low end torque to get the most out it unless using high
gears.
 You are correct in stating that one should expect more drive train repairs.
Depending on what the engine is for the upgrade, you are going from 95
bhp to 105 or 125.
 Everything has it's drawbacks, I think the idea is to have fun. At least
it is for me.
 One last thing. This conversion is essentially a bolt in except when
using post 72 TR6 engines. Seems the crank on later engines is off-center
to the left (facing engine) and that present a problem with the motor
mount on that side. Some modification is required.
 Another problem is that earlyTR6 engines are getting hard to find.
Best Regards,
Tony
"GT6s"
###