Re: GT-6 engine conversion

To: bruceh@cellerity.com
Subject: Re: GT-6 engine conversion
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 13:18:28 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>> In doing this conversion, it is advisable to use the TR6 tranny. The
>>biggest disadvantage to the GT6 tranny is that the lay gear is bronze as
>>opposed to the TR6 which has a steel lay gear. Trying to replace a lay
>>gear is about as costly as buying a rebuilt tranny.
>
>I'll admit that it's been quite some time since I've had a GT6 gearbox
>disassembled, but I don't remember the lay gear being bronze.  I'd be
>surprised if bronze would hold up for very long in such an application.
>I do remember something about bronze bushings vs. needle bearings, but I
>thought that was a Spitfire vs. GT6 issue.
>
>bkh
>71 GT6

Bruce,
 I've got two GT6 and one TR6 transmixers open at this moment. Both GT6
boxs contain a bronze lay gear while the TR6 box has steel. In addition,
the steel gear is longer and the lay shaft is about 1/16 in larger diameter.
 That's abouty as far as I have gotten on the tear down. Will let you
know if I find any other glaring differences.Best Regards,
Tony
###