Re: GT-6 engine conversion

To: bruceh@cellerity.com
Subject: Re: GT-6 engine conversion
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 16:04:24 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>>I've got two GT6 and one TR6 transmixers open at this moment. Both GT6
>>boxs contain a bronze lay gear while the TR6 box has steel. In addition,
>>the steel gear is longer and the lay shaft is about 1/16 in larger
>>diameter.
>>That's about as far as I have gotten on the tear down. Will let you
>>know if I find any other glaring differences.  Best Regards,
>
>Now you've got me curious.  The gear boxes that I've had open in the past
>were from +'s or MkIII's.  Any idea what year your two are?
>
>regards
>
>bkh
>71 GT6

Bruce,
 One is from a 67 Gt6, the other is 66. The TR6 is fron a 72.
 I know I'm not going nuts. In both the GT6 trannies, the lay gear is
a heavy copper color bronze gear. One end has a row of teeth about 3 in
diameter then ther is a small gear at the other end.
 The TR6 lay gear on the other hand, is heavy steel, the same shape but
overall larger and longer.
 I don't think this is a point to argue, because I'm not real sure of the
origins on these trannies. I just know what cars they came from, who
knows what happend before I got them. I just thought it was strange that
they BOTH had the same type of lay gear.
 I don't know about early Spits. Do you suppose both of these transmixers
could be very early Spit. If so, why did they fit GT6?
Help me figure this out. Could be I have been looking for parts for the
wrong transmissions.
Best Regards,
Tony
###