Re: To Frame off or Not to Frame off -Reply

To: Metwrench@aol.com, Metwrench@aol.com, smith007@intnet.net
Subject: Re: To Frame off or Not to Frame off -Reply
From: TLEAKE@novell.com (Tom Leake)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:16:47 -0700
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Interesting this topic should come up right now.  I am considering
whether to pull the body off the 65 TR4 A.    With this car it is an
interesting question.  The frame is in excellent condition as far as rigidity
 and rust.
Points for removing body and renewing frame (not a true nout and bolt
resto)
1. Most of the rubber on the car is questionable at best (any rubber that
 saw sunlight is gone) So the mounting pads are suspet .
2. Frame is in excellent condidtion, and I would like to stabilize the frame
before there is any opportunity for it to go bad.  I have had on instance of
rust frozen components in all of both front and rear, one of the inner
lower control arm bolts was frozen in its sleeve.  All rear suspension
and diff mounts are in great shape and the frame is rock solid rigid.  With
jack stands anywhere the doors are not affected.

3. It would also be nice as  I have taken the opportunity while the
suspension is off to renew most of these components.

4.  This car is not being restored for show but for driving.  I want to drive
it and not worry about it.

Points against.
1. cost.  I am not looking at much here sandblasing and new body
padees are the only things I am not already in for.
2. Time
3. Is it necessary It has not suffered to badly over the past thirty years,
mostly due to the Desert Climate where it lived.  I am not in such an arid
climate now (and may move to much damper climates).    I have heard
from one friend locally that TR4, and TR4a's don't rust in the frames like
the TR6's  may be due to different type of steel Can anyone else confirm
this?
4. The body is also a very straight body that lines up beautifully.  I would
hate to tweak it when removing it.
5.  The frame is in excellent shape If I repaint nobody will believe it is
agood as they can see now.
5. Very few DPO bodges,  hate to ruin the car

Any further thoughts advice appreciated.