To Frame off or Not to Frame off

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: To Frame off or Not to Frame off
From: smith007@IntNet.net (PHILIP SMITH)
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 11:14:15 -0500
In my quest to purchase the correct TR6, 6 months, about $500.00, in
expenses, I have this question, I would like to pose to the group. I
recently checked out a 69 Tr6 that was a frame off restoration,  by a guy
who worked for a Business that restored cars. He did this car on the side.
It is a very nice car, but in my opinion, the car felt loose, light; unlike
some TR's I have driven, with many more flaws, that felt substanially
tighter.
                             At first, I thought the reason for this might
be due to the fact that in the rebuild, reproduction parts,( TRF ) were
used, as apposed to the original.
                             I, recently,asked a Triumph club member in
Orlando,Fl. my theory about reproduction parts and the tightness of the
car. His peply really threw me for a loop and gave me way to much to
ponder.Nick,who has owned/done, six TR6's, doesn't believe in frame off
restorations, for non-show, daily drivers. He feels that there aren't too
many people out there that are really qualified to do a frame off
correctly, ie. torque srecs, proper method in removing tub etc, and the
one's that are ,charge accordingly, $18,000.00 range.
I'm wondering,how others feel about this? Is it preferable to buy an original
vs. a frame off? In most cases will the Original be tighter?

                                           " Not So Soon To Be TR6 Owner"
                                             Still Bark'in Up A Tree
                                             ( But Gettin Tired and Aggravated)