Re: To Frame off or Not to Frame off

To: smith007@intnet.net
Subject: Re: To Frame off or Not to Frame off
From: Metwrench@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 12:07:40 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net

 doesn't believe in frame off
>restorations, for non-show, daily drivers. He feels that there aren't too
>many people out there that are really qualified to do a frame off
>correctly,

I agree, if you don't know what your doing you can do more harm than help.

 ie. torque srecs, proper method in removing tub etc, and the
>one's that are ,charge accordingly, $18,000.00 range.
>I'm wondering,how others feel about this? Is it preferable to buy an
original
>vs. a frame off? In most cases will the Original be tighter?

I think maybe your loose feeling could be body mounts. You know, more and
more people drive old cars and wonder why they seem to have such a loose
sound and feel. The body mounts dry rot (rubber mounts between body and
frame) and they contact metal to metal or just stiffen up because of age.
Maybe this is where the problem lies?

John Spofford

Automotive Vocational Instructor
ASE, L1 Master Tech