Re: To Frame off or Not to Frame off

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: To Frame off or Not to Frame off
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:30:07 -0700 (MST)
Cc: DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM
  TLEAKE@novell.com (Tom Leake) writes:

  > Interesting this topic should come up right now.  I am considering
  > whether to pull the body off the 65 TR4 A.

  If you're not experienced in such matters, and the car is as nice
  as you say, I would _not_ do a frame off.

  A nice original car as an appeal all its own, which (in my only very
  slightly experienced opinion) a restoration can't quite match.  As
  Andy Mace would say, "patina, patina, patina."  Also, "good unrestored"
  is often more valuable than "restored".  I certainly would not be as
  comfortable buying a frame-off restoration, as you have two sets of
  builders to worry about, the original factory team and the restorers.
  Twice as many opportunities to do goofy things.

  Having just about completed a frame-off of my own (I didn't have a
  choice, really, it was unusable) I can tell you that it is a huge
  amount of work, filled with frustration.  And this was a car that
  has somewhat better parts availability than a TR4.   In the end,
  you're left with something that looks lovely, but as you drive it
  you're aware of all the compromises you were forced to make, and
  you wonder if you're really getting the driving experience that
  original purchasers had.   Besides which, body alignment, even on
  an undamaged car, _IS A ROYAL PAIN IN THE FUNDAMENT!!!_.

  It sounds as though in your case you'd get best results from replacing
  what needs to be replaced; the quintessential "rolling restoration".
  All IMHO, of course.

  - Dan Parslow
  Various wheeled thingies.