Re: To Frame off or Not to Frame off -Reply

To: TLEAKE@novell.com, Metwrench@aol.com, smith007@intnet.net
Subject: Re: To Frame off or Not to Frame off -Reply
From: TheHerrs@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 22:56:10 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 96-06-10 14:23:01 EDT, TLEAKE@novell.com (Tom Leake)
writes:

> I have heard
>from one friend locally that TR4, and TR4a's don't rust in the frames like
>the TR6's  may be due to different type of steel Can anyone else confirm
>this?

My TR4A had severe rust in the floor boards, rockers, inner rockers, bulkhead
panel and boot floor, with all mentioned panels needing replacement. The
frame was solid as a rock and only needed sandblasting and painting. My car
is the TR4A with the solid axle, I have heard that the IRS models all suffer
the frame rot problems of the later TR6's.

I don't know what to tell you on the frame off question. My car had no
choice. Plus I hate the sound of the body rattling on the frame. 30+ year old
cars never feel like new, unless you replace all the rubber. But I will vouch
for the people telling you about all the work. My car started as a 1 year
project, it has now been 7 years!

Good luck ,it sounds like you have a great car....

Dave Herr
73 Stag
65 TR4A