Re: To Frame off or Not to Frame off

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (dan parslow)
Subject: Re: To Frame off or Not to Frame off
From: DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 15:17:16 -0400
MAN!!!!,

        I too cannot believe the timing of this thread.  I'm about 4-6 weeks
away from finishing the work on my basement.  The whole family has been
warned that DAD's next project will be one he has put off for three
years,  FIXING THAT TRIUMPH!  Parts purchases have already begun, and now
this.

        Here is my dilemma,  I need to have the rear cross-member of the frame
replaced.  I intend to this myself, I do all the work myself that I can.
I figure the best way to do this job to to remove the shell from the
frame to get the best possible access to the cross-members.   While this
is going on I was also going to do all the usually things, replace all
rubber and rebuild anything that need it.  The engine is going to get a
new 'leaded-gas' head, and a tranny rebuild is an option.

        Now all this talk about the risks/worth of doing a frame off restore.
now I can fix the cross-members with removing the shell, but I think the
job would be much harder, and in the end probably not done as well as
could be.  Also if I rebuild front and rear suspension it would be easier
with the shell off.

        There was a post the other week that I responded to where a guy made it
sound like he removed and replace the shell 1-2-3!  I haven't heard back
from him yet.

        I thought that if I left the doors on and place the shell on a platform
I would have to worry about it twisting much.

        I question my question is as follows, it fix the cross-members should I
remove the shell from the frame?

Thanks,
JHD IV