Re: Oil Pressure and Stuff

To: 74741.2020@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure and Stuff
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 17:40:56 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

In summer you should use 20-50w oil. 10-30 is way too thin!

Your oil pressure should be >75 psi cold at idle, 50 psi at normal
operating temp at idle. If it's less than that, your main bearings or rod
bearings are worn or your oil pump is out of spec. If it's real hot, mine
never gets below 30 psi at idle, and that usually means it's time to
change the oil!

My TR6 has been that way for all 85K plus miles on it. I changed the
bearings at around 80K miles because the pressure started dropping a bit
when the car was hot. New bearings got the pressure back up to "normal".

See Ya',
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: You'll have to talk to my attorney about that topic...