Re: Oil Pressure and Stuff

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure and Stuff
From: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 11:28:52

> What do you folks recommend as the best form of oil pressure gauge to fit to a
> spit?
>
> ie. fillament or electric, smiths or ***, etc.
>
> and where to get them, and what they cost.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris.
>
> --
> -- 1977 Spitfire 1500...Everyday/Only Driver.

Hi Chris,

I've got a Smiths oil pressure gauge which matches the fuel and temp
gauges. You can pick them up for a couple of quid at autojumbles or
buy them new for a lot more.  If you buy them second hand they
invariably havn't got the pipe which connects them to the engine
block.
However you can get these from most motor factors in copper or in
plastic.  Copper looks good but breaks too easily (it gets stressed by
engine vibrations) plastic is far more durable.  The alternative is
to buy a gauge and fitting kit from a motor factor but I think these
guages look a bit naff compared to proper Smiths instruments. It
might be worth getting hold of one to test the accuracy of your
second hand gauge however.

I'd strongly recommend fitting a gauge to a spit 1500. because you
can monitor wear in the crank bearings and when the oil pressure gets
a bit low you can replace them before the crank is damaged and needs
a regrind. You can replace big end _and_ main bearing shells with the
engine in.  John Kipping told me this and it works a treat!

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

*************************************
Dr J.E.Miles