Re: thermostat

To: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: thermostat
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 21:46:20 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: mdporter@rt66.com
Comrades,

Oh boy, here we go!

My experience has been that to thermostat or not to thermostat is best
answered on a case by case basis.  It seems to depend on the state of tune of
the engine, the overall condition of the cooling system, the size of the
radiator, ambient temperature, traffic patterns, and maybe even planetary
alignment.

A TR4 will overheat every time if you remove the thermostat.  The Triumph
Competition Preparation Manual for this car reads:  "Racing engines must be
at the correct temperature and keeping the thermostat in position, though
broken at the full open point, guarantees the amount of restriction in the
water system.  You must have a restriction in the water system or the water
pump will force the coolant through the radiator too fast for proper cooling
to take place, and the engine can overheat very quickly."  From personal
experience, I can tell you that this is true for TR4's that have street
engines too.  It also holds true for many TVRs.

As for the Spitfire, I would say, If it ain"t broke....

Rich Rock
64 TR4
65 TR4A- IRS
67 TR4A...parts for sale