Re: aaaaahhhhhh !!! What have I done !?!

To: "Mark S. Lepore, MD" <Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: aaaaahhhhhh !!! What have I done !?!
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 19:10:58 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mark S. Lepore, MD wrote:

> What have I done?
> My '71 Tr6 that I bought less than a month ago needs major work, or so a
> recent mechanic says.  I'd like people's opinions on these prices, and
> alternatives, aside from me doing it myself, which I'm not confident I
> could do.  Symptoms: lots of play in the steering; the car sags to the
> passenger side; carb leaks fuel, and idle is too high.  My gut feeling
> is that their labor rate is too high, and perhaps some of the things
> really don't need to be done:
>
> 1)Install a new rack, new tie rod ends, a new shaft and u joint and
> align the front end.  Parts $535, labor $205
> 2) Install front springs - Parts $76, Labor $220
> 3) Install rear springs - Parts $90, Labor $138
> 4) Install front end "major suspension kit", which replaces all the worn
> bushings and things like that. - Parts $638, Labor $550
> 5) Carb rebuild (both carbs) Parts - $86, Labor $330
> 6) Install new vacuum advance $65 for used part, $55 labor
>
> Any and all input would be appreciated.
> Sirmoog

You bought a TR 6, and didn't plan to get into (at least some of) the
mechanicals yourself?  SHAME!!!

You can look up the "parts" prices by getting catalogs from TRF and the
such...   so at least you'll know if your mechanic is burning you there.

His labor prices are difficult to peg... And i'll leave this for other's
to tear apart...   (Some seem fair, some seem unfair, to me)