Re: aaaaahhhhhh !!! What have I done !?!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, "Mark S. Lepore, MD" <Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: aaaaahhhhhh !!! What have I done !?!
From: John Matthews <matthews@sj.bigger.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 15:27:50 -0700
Mark S. Lepore, MD wrote:

> What have I done?
> My '71 Tr6 that I bought less than a month ago needs major work, or so a
> recent mechanic says.  I'd like people's opinions on these prices, and
> alternatives, aside from me doing it myself, which I'm not confident I
> could do.  Symptoms: lots of play in the steering; the car sags to the
> passenger side; carb leaks fuel, and idle is too high.  My gut feeling
> is that their labor rate is too high, and perhaps some of the things
> really don't need to be done:
>
> 1)Install a new rack, new tie rod ends, a new shaft and u joint and
> align the front end.  Parts $535, labor $205
> 2) Install front springs - Parts $76, Labor $220
> 3) Install rear springs - Parts $90, Labor $138
> 4) Install front end "major suspension kit", which replaces all the worn
> bushings and things like that. - Parts $638, Labor $550
> 5) Carb rebuild (both carbs) Parts - $86, Labor $330
> 6) Install new vacuum advance $65 for used part, $55 labor
>
> Any and all input would be appreciated.
> Sirmoog

Mark,

This looks like about what I'd expect if I took my car to a mechanic and
just said "fix it". None of these things are really that difficult, but
they will take time. What you have to ask is "is this a hobby I want to
learn more about, or do I just want a cool convertible to drive this
summer??". If the answer is hobby then buy a service manual, get some
tools, and dig in. There's plenty of support on the list, and you won't
have to do everything all at once. When you come upon jobs you don't
feel comfortable doing yourself take it to the shop, but at least having
read the manual you'll know what to expect in terms of time and
materials. If the answer is cool car then find someone who already
finished their restoration and has a jones to start over again. Trade
them your car, and some cash, and drive away. Just make sure you get a
solid car from someone you can trust, or you'll be back at square one.
If even that prospect scares you the friendly Mazda dealer might have
just what your looking for. Just my 2 pence.

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 racin' Herald (2 years into it 2 years to go... maybe)