Re: aaaaahhhhhh !!! What have I done !?!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: aaaaahhhhhh !!! What have I done !?!
From: dynamic@transport.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 07:21:30 +0100
>What have I done?
>My '71 Tr6 that I bought less than a month ago needs major work, or so a
>recent mechanic says.  I'd like people's opinions on these prices, and
>alternatives, aside from me doing it myself, which I'm not confident I
>could do.  Symptoms: lots of play in the steering; the car sags to the
>passenger side; carb leaks fuel, and idle is too high.  My gut feeling
>is that their labor rate is too high, and perhaps some of the things
>really don't need to be done:
>
>1)Install a new rack, new tie rod ends, a new shaft and u joint and
>align the front end.  Parts $535, labor $205
>2) Install front springs - Parts $76, Labor $220
>3) Install rear springs - Parts $90, Labor $138
>4) Install front end "major suspension kit", which replaces all the worn
>bushings and things like that. - Parts $638, Labor $550
>5) Carb rebuild (both carbs) Parts - $86, Labor $330
>6) Install new vacuum advance $65 for used part, $55 labor
>
>Any and all input would be appreciated.
>Sirmoog

Mark:

First of all, I'll back up all the recommendations you're getting to try to
tackle these things yourself.  I bought my TR6 as a fresh high school grad
who knew nothing.  I have now had just about every part on my TR6 apart
(after 11 years of ownership) and I rely on it now for everyday
transportation.  It's fantanstic to be able to do it and not worry about
the money (as much).  I urge you to jump in... the water isn't that bad at
all.

Regarding the repairs, I'd bet that although the rack may have more play in
it than it should, it probably is not that much in need of replacement.
There are so many other things that contribute to this problem.  If it were
me, I'd figure on hanging on to the rack, replacing the outer track rod
ends, and the rack mount bushings (with poly).  See if this doesn't help
your steering slop out a lot.  You could end up having to replace the rack,
or maybe just the inner track rod ends (probably the latter), but I would
try the others first, as they are simpler and cheaper to do.

You probably DO need new springs, but I wouldn't pay anyone to do this.  On
the front end the springs are more difficult than the rear, but you can do
it.  I made a simple and effective spring compressor for this, and TRF
sells one just for the TR6 front.  The rears do not need a spring
compressor, and are really a piece of cake.  Which brings me to another
observation... If he's going to rebuild the front end, then he should give
you one labor price for the whole job, springs included.  You don't take
the suspension apart to change springs and then take it apart AGAIN to
change the bushings!!

The carbs are not too bad, either.  These things you just need to work at
slowly and deliberately, with the manual open.  They are easy to remove and
install, and beautifully simple carbs... you can do this one.  Same with
the vaccuum advance.  Easy as fallin' off a log.

Good luck.

Pete Chadwell

1973 TR6