Re: aaaaahhhhhh !!! What have I done !?!

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: aaaaahhhhhh !!! What have I done !?!
From: "Daniel Julien" <djulien@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 21:46:02 -0500
John Matthews replied to Mark S. Lepore:

> Mark S. Lepore, MD wrote:
> >
> > What have I done?
> > My '71 Tr6 that I bought less than a month ago needs major work, or so
> > recent mechanic says.  I'd like people's opinions on these prices, and
> > alternatives, aside from me doing it myself, which I'm not confident I
> > could do.

<--snip-->

> > Any and all input would be appreciated.
> > Sirmoog
>
> Mark,
>
> This looks like about what I'd expect if I took my car to a mechanic and
> just said "fix it". None of these things are really that difficult, but
> they will take time. What you have to ask is "is this a hobby I want to
> learn more about, or do I just want a cool convertible to drive this
> summer??". If the answer is hobby then buy a service manual, get some
> tools, and dig in. There's plenty of support on the list, and you won't
> have to do everything all at once. When you come upon jobs you don't
> feel comfortable doing yourself take it to the shop, but at least having
> read the manual you'll know what to expect in terms of time and
> materials.

<--snip-->

> Cheers,
>
> John Matthews
> '61 racin' Herald (2 years into it 2 years to go... maybe)

I have to agree with most of what John said. I'd also add the
recommendation
that you find a local Triumph club (or any British car club, if there's not
Triumph club around). I wish I had done so earlier in my Triumph
experience.
The help, advice, encouragement, and knowledge of local resources will be
invaluable (not to mention the inspiration from seeing the other cars!).

You don't have to do everything at once. I'd prioritize, starting with the
greatest potential danger (#1:carb leak - fire hazard; #2:steering, etc).
I don't think you mentioned any problem that is beyond the ability of a
novice mechanic (The carbs are the most complicated; the springs are the
most dangerous to work with. Have a manual and follow its instructions.)
I'd guess that most of us on the list once found ourselves in a situation
very similar to yours, and gained most of our knowledge by working through
problems with a little help from our friends.

Don't get discouraged. You CAN do it!

Dan Julien
Austin, Texas
'72 TR6