Re: Triumph longevity

To: James Charles Ruwaldt <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>
Subject: Re: Triumph longevity
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 16:01:21 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
James Charles Ruwaldt wrote:

> To those of you who've owned your cars for some time,
>         I realize this is a hobby where I will have to make fairly
> frequent repairs, but I'm wondering if any of you have found that you
> reach a point, when you get most of the bugs worked out, so that you can
> fairly readily predict when the next repairs will be needed.  My mechanic
> says British cars are actually pretty reliable, which goes somewhat
> contrary to everything I've heard.  However, so far I've never replaced
> anything more than once.  I haven't found maintenance to be more
> frustrating on this car than on any other I've worked on.  Of course,
> I've been desensitized by the probably lemon Rabbit Diesel I owned for a
> few years, which was always breaking down.  Nevertheless, I wouldn't be
> surprised if part of what I've experienced with the TR6, is just what's to
> be expected with a twenty-five year-old car.  Now that I've asked if
> anyone's found their cars to be somewhat reliable, do more of you find that
>the repairs
> are the nightmare that they're cracked up to be?  Not that any of this
> will make me get rid of the '6.  It's too much fun.
> Jim Ruwaldt
> '72 TR6 CC79338U(being restored)

I bought my basket-case TR 4A a few years ago... I methodically went
over the mechanicals...  I've rarely had to go back over the same thing
twice...(as you said).. and now, knock on wood, I can pretty much trust
the car as much as my Nissan...  The best example would be... I thought
nothing of driving up to San Francisco, (from Los Angeles), on a whim...
without any special preparations...  it's been turn-key for quite some
time now.  YES... I think they can be reliable.

Justin
jmwagner@greenheart.com
http://greenheart.com/jmwagner
Los Angeles