RE: Triumph longevity

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Triumph longevity
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 97 15:11:51 PDT
All,
        I'll have a shot at this with my owm experiences.

        We've owned "Rags" (74 TR6) for 6 years now.  It had at least 3
previous owners.  When I bought it, I did not know very much about
maintaining or restoring cars.  I knew even less about buying Triumphs.
I just knew that I wanted one!

        In retrospect I probably did not buy the right car for me.  Rags
was a little (lots?) rough around the edges, but it was the cleanest car
I had seen in my brief search.  It probably represents the "average"
TR6 - lots of use and abuse, but no maintenance.

        However in those 6 years, this rough little diamond has served
me exceptionally well.  As a daily driver, and for many years commuting
50 miles/day, I have had it towed twice only.  The first time I ran out
of gas (it was in the early days of my ownership, and I did not realize
that fuel drained to the rear of the tank away from the pickup on steep
hills).  Anyway, I drained the battery trying to get it started, and decided
to have it towed.  When I got home, I jump started it straight away!
The second time I blew a freeze plug.

        Other times Rags has given me plenty of notice of when parts
are about to break.  I replaced them promptly.

        Over the years, I developed a true fondness for the little
car, and decided 4 years ago to do a rolling restoration.  Perhaps
not the smartest move, especially for my wallet.  I have learnt to do
many jobs myself, farming the car out only for a clutch rebuild.
It has been invaluable experience in teaching me how to maintain
older cars.

        Why a rolling restoration?  I dont have the $$/time/space/knowledge
to invest in a "frame-off" restoration.  So I nibble at it piece by
piece.  Besides, Rags is rarely off the road for more than 2 weeks
when I decide to do something big (like my current project, dash,
heater-blower motor and steering column rebuild).

        I'd like to get Rags back to tip-tip and original condition.
But that will take many more thou$and$ and I estimate 3 years.
Probably when I do get it finished I will have to start again!  But
Rags is not going anywhere - we have a lifetime together.

        Shane Ingate, affectionate for the little car, in San Diego