RE: Triumph longevity

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net.wgcinet>
Subject: RE: Triumph longevity
From: "Tom Gentry "<TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 08:48:00 -0500
First, some background:
I have owned my current TR-6 for nine years, doing mechanical and
cosmetic repairs mostly in the off season.  I am the only person to work
on the car (for better or worse) during my ownership.  The car has been
my daily driver from Easter to Thanksgiving for seven of those years,
averaging about 7,000 miles a year.

Now to answer your question:
Until a recent broken connecting rod I have had very little unexpected
repair.  I prefer to fix it BEFORE it breaks.  I'm not one to carry a
new fuel pump in the trunk, preferring to install the new in my garage
instead of on the road.  If you do preventative maintenance, replace
worn parts before they fail, etc. the amount of repairs does go down
over time.  Excepting the connecting rod incident, my TR has never left
me stranded, always started when I asked it to, and has been great fun.
It may not be as trouble free as a new Corolla, but then a Corolla is
more of an appliance than a car IMHO.

Tom Gentry
Life is too short to drive boring cars!
'72 TR-6 (watch the new, improved version next spring!)
'59 Triumph 10 (on the road next summer???)
'86 Shelby Charger (It's paid for)