RE: Re[2]: Triumph longevity

To: "'Peter Mchugh'" <Peter.Mchugh@faa.dot.gov>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Re[2]: Triumph longevity
From: "Jaffrey.Mark" <Mark.Jaffrey@haltoncollege.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:03:48 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Peter - I have a 1977 Triumph Dolomite Sprint in white with a black
vinyl roof.  The only modifications that have been made to it are
lowered springs with Spax adjustable shocks, and a stainless steel
exhaust.  The car is fairly shabby, despite having covered only 100,000
miles in 20 years - rust is the main killer in UK, but it runs extremely
well, and has never ever left me stranded.

Ironically, it is the modifications that have caused me the most
trouble.  Because the car sits so low (ground clearance of 3 - 4 inches
between the front wheels), it is sometimes difficult to avoid scraping
the belly on the road when driving enthusiastically, or even when
crawling over speed humps.  The exhaust has been damaged several times,
and it seems like I am always having to replace exhaust hangers and weld
up cracks in the middle stainless steel silencer (not easy).

Apart from the exhaust (which at least will never rust), over the two
years that I have driven it every day (10,000 miles a year), I have
needed to replace the bracket that holds on the clutch slave cylinder
(the metal sheared and the bracket bent so that I couldn't depress the
clutch) and given it a head-off decoke (initiated by a spark plug
exploding and dropping its ceramic insulation into the cylinder).  While
I had the head off, I reground the valves and checked them all for wear;
none found in either the valves or the guides.  It has needed a new
handbrake cable and a steering rack for its MOT, but every morning it
starts first time and takes me in to work.

What more can you ask from a car that will top 115 mph, get to sixty in
8.5 seconds and slide beautifully on anything other than a perfectly dry
surface?   :-)

Mark Jaffrey