RE: VTR National

To: Tom Gentry <TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com>
Subject: RE: VTR National
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 13:24:35 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Tom Gentry  wrote:

> "Mr. Mike" Passaretti wrote:
> >>Don't the cars have to sign a waiver?  Or at least the owners?
>
> Assuming the cars were in a public place and the pictures were taken
> from public property no release is necessary for any use.  Otherwise,
> the need for a release depends on the use of the pictures, for instance
> advertising would require a release, journalism would not.

My hope, considering that a similar situation arose at the 1983 VTR
Convention in Long Island, is that the photographer (along with whoever else
works on this book) knows his or her subject well enough to properly
describe whatever photos are used. Those familiar with Newton's Triumph
Guide have seen a number of photos in same that were taken at the VTR
National in 1983. Unfortunately, some of the shots used led to some very
misleading information about Triumphs. Most notable are a Spitfire that is
obviously a blend of 1969 and 1970 models and a photograph of the "pseudo
Rostyle" wheelcover that, in fact, is an aftermarket item that looks even
worse than do the originals (which, BTW, I am saving to reuse on my own
GT6+ someday because I think they're cool :-) ).

--Andy