Re: wiring and OD tranny for TR6

To: van@nucmar.physics.fsu.edu
Subject: Re: wiring and OD tranny for TR6
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 97 17:12:19 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
     Well, I can't really comment on the overdrive, except, I'd really like
     one in my car!
     As far as the copper/aluminum mix: If a connection gets a little
     loose, a galvanic reaction occurs, generating heat.
     This is why, if you have aluminum wiring in your house, it is
     recommended that you periodically go around and tighten the screws on
     your receptacles and switches. Around here, it used to be a big deal
     when buying a house if it had aluminum wiring. You could just about
     argue the price down by the cost of re-wiring the place in copper.
     Haven't heard much of this lately though. Maybe there aren't any of
     those houses left.
     Now my galvanic reaction theory's a little rusty, so to speak, so
     perhaps someone can elaborate (Trevor?).
     Regards,
     Jim Wallace
     '60 TR3 TS81417

Author:  Non-HP-van (van@nucmar.physics.fsu.edu) at HP-USA,mimegw5
Date:    7/28/97 3:58 PM

>      "re-engineered" with lamp cord. The centre of the fire seemed to be
>      coming from a Marrette, and when I took it apart - guess what - one of
>      the lamp cords was copper, and the other was aluminum!
>
>      My personal conclusion: don't do this.
>
>      Jim Wallace
>      miraculously still alive in Canada.>

        Two questions:
        1)  Why the objection to the mixed conductors?

        2)  What is the story on TR6 overdrives.  They seem to be precious
        objects.  What was the ratio (ball park) of OD's to non OD
        TR6's.  I have a '76 that has the overdrive eblem on the back but
        someone has nicked the original unit and replaced it with a non-OD.
                                No sig file, Van