Re: wiring and OD tranny for TR6

To: van@nucmar.physics.fsu.edu, JAMES_S_WALLACE@hp-canada-om1.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: wiring and OD tranny for TR6
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 17:31:50 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-07-28 16:52:36 EDT, van@nucmar.physics.fsu.edu (Van S.
Griffin) writes:

> 1)  Why the objection to the mixed conductors?

I don't think the objection was to the MIXING of conductors (at least I hope
not), but to the use of aluminum. There is nothing wrong with using aluminum,
as long as the fittings are properly designed for use with aluminum. The
coeficient of expansion for aluminum is much greater than for copper. When
aluminum gets hot and expands, it tends to loosen the connection. When the
current is turned of, and the wire cools, the connection is not as good as
before, and will get hotter the next time current is turned on, expanding the
connection even more. After repeated cycles, the connection becomes VERY
poor, and becomes a source of heat, with a potential for fire. For this
reason, aluminum was outlawed for home use in many areas of the country.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74