Re: wiring and OD tranny for TR6

To: tboicey@brit.ca, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: wiring and OD tranny for TR6
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 20:52:51 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-07-28 17:58:53 EDT, tboicey@brit.ca (Trevor Boicey)
writes:

>   There are methods of connecting copper and aluminum
>  in house wiring. Unsure as to how it is done, but I
>  know they exist.

Trevor:

Actually, the problem of mixing aluminum and copper is just the same problem
as using aluminum. The copper is not a problem. The thermal cycling of the
aluminum affects the copper/aluminum connections just as it does the
terminals on the wiring devices. Basically, it's not that the two materials
are mixed, it's just that one if them is aluminum. Although from a chemical
standpoint, I don't suppose it is a good idea to mix them. As you know, any
two dissimilar metals in contact will act like a battery. Maybe there is a
"sauce" of some sort to coat the joints with?

The newer devices that are designed to be used with aluminum will be stamped
AL on them somewhere, and they are usually stamped CU/AL, meaning they can be
used with both types of wire. I don't know either what the differences are
that allows them to be used with aluminum.

It has been quite a few years since I have done any house wiring, so my
knowledge is a little bit outdated.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74