Well, hasn't THIS just become all complicated on me?!?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Well, hasn't THIS just become all complicated on me?!?
From: SUCHAK <suchak@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 14:35:34 -0400
Now I have a problem.

I bought the "roller".  It's immaculate.  Really.  One spot of surface
rust, about the size of a quarter in the middle of the passenger floor
pan, nothing of note anywhere else.  Frame's been blasted and painted,
as have the four corners.  Like new.  Literally, as new.  Worse yet, the
title is no problem.  I'll have it inside two weeks.

What problem you say?!?!

Well, it's too nice to do a "race-storation" on, as I'd been doing with
my Spit before I found the frame rust.  With mine, originality was not a
big concern, only because the car had a history of neglect and "hacks".
Now I'm faced with reassembling a totally rust free car on an immaculate
frame.  Don't I have an obligation to do it as close to original as
possible?  I'd really like to do it with a fair amount of modification,
but am I throwing away the real value of the car if I do?  I'm not
talking about really chopping up the car, but I would like to use the
custom dash and interior I've made for mine, as well as a fair amount of
engine modification.

Any opinions on this?  Do I have some moral imperative to keep it
original?  Would I be subjected to jeers and derision at a Triumph meet
if I modified a *really* clean car?  Would it make any difference if the
car was a composite of excellent parts from several cars that were
generally clapped out, and not a factory cherry car to begin with?

John

--
Come see us on the Web!
http://www.jacksonville.se.mediaone.net/~suchak/home.htm