FW: Re: GT6 Perplexia

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Re: GT6 Perplexia
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 11:21:57 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from
[Martin_A._Secrest%NEB%V@VOA.GOV]]

     Date: 17 Sep 97  8:59:47
     From: Martin_A._Secrest%NEB%V@VOA.GOV
     Subject: Re: GT6 Perplexia

On the subject of an *unshimmed* GT6 front end positive camber, Barry Schwartz
wrote:

>>Something doesn't seem right here.  Removing the shims (I'm assuming the
shims here are the ones under the lower a-arm mounts) would induce positive
camber.  Removing the shims would pull the lower arm closer to the body.
This would pull the lower portion of the wheel closer towards the car (i.e.
top of wheels wider then the bottom).  Actually a little negative camber
would help in cornering and help prevent the wandering your talking about.
I think the 'positive' camber is used on the GT6 primarily to impart a
'lighter' feel to a nose heavy car.  I too have noticed a tendency to get
light at speed on the GT and have since reduced the camber (more negative)
to help eliminate this.  I never really liked the front 'positive' camber
look on the GT6's anyway.<<

Quite correct, I*m sure, Barry.  Serves me right for *wandering* into
areas I don*t know anything about.  But now that you mention it, I*m
sure the PO *upshimmed* the front end to eliminate the positive camber.

About his Spitfire, Mike then wrote:

>>That's a fine theory, with one exception.  The Spitfire spec is also
>something
like 3 degrees positive camber.  It's nose isn't especially heavy.  My car
doesn't seem to float too much with the fronts set at 1 &1/2 degrees positive
(as close to 3 degrees as the last alignment guy could get it).  I too though
have been wondering what the purpose of the positive camber is.  I don't really
like it all that much, and it seems a degree or two of negative (like the rears)
would be more apporpriate?<<

Then, off line, Ted Schumacher wrote:

>>the car
sounds like it needs a trip to a good alignment shop.  the camber should
be just to the negative side.  you might check the steering rack
mounts.  they were notorious on this car and the spit for letting the
rack shift side to side.  we have urethane rack mounts that solve this
problem.<<

Useful stuff, guys.  I will check out the steering rack mounts as
well.  I am, however, still confused as to why Triumph produced all
those Spits and GT*s with positive

front camber (!)  But I*ll keep y*all posted ...

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6-3