Re: Important LBC Tip

To: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Subject: Re: Important LBC Tip
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 09:56:19 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
schuyler grace wrote:

> > FYI, if your LBC suddenly stops running, check the hollow metal
> > container behind the seats.  Apparently, it must have something more
> > than air in it for the engine to operate, even if the fuel gauge shows
> > the car is 3/4 full of gasoline (where ever that stuff is kept)....

Ken Streeter replied:

> ...I'm afraid that you're
> not the first to have noticed this, but the second, as I ran
> into the exact same problem on my 1970 TR6 on my way back from
> the VTR National convention, except mine occurred at the 1/8
> point on the fuel gauge.  Maybe this is a systemic problem
> with the manufacturing of Triumph motorcars?

Perhaps it is systemic on Triumphs, but I'm not sure there is any set
pattern to it. My first Spitfire, a 1969 Mk.3, would sputter and die the
exact second that the fuel gauge needle hit the "E" mark. With most cars,
having the needle hit the "E" actually means that there is somewhere
between one ounce and eight gallons of fuel actually remaining in the
tank (the secret reserve that is the salvation of all struggling college
students). Not this Spitfire; its gauge was "dead" accurate.

Mind you, the Mk.3 has a "stabilised" fuel gauge, unlike most of my older
Triumphs over the years (Heralds, TR3s, etc.). On those, the wildly
bouncing fuel gauge needles offered little more information beyond proof
that electrons were flowing somewhere within the wiring harness.

--Andy, who, like most of his cars' fuel gauges, is not necessarily
stabilised (although doctors are working frantically to find a cure)

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *