Re: Dashboard

To: Bob Jones <JONES_M2@popmail.firn.edu>
Subject: Re: Dashboard
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 08:30:24 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bob Jones wrote:

> Al contrar
> I certainly can't speak about all original dashboards on TR6's but the
> 74's certainly didn't have a light, almost yellow finish.  Just went out
> to the garage and looked at my original board as well as a replacement I
> purchased NOS from a BL dealer in 1980.  The original had about 19 years
> on it and the replacement about two before I fell for the burled walnut.
> Both old boards were a dark honey walnut which the sun over the years
> lightened.  The original color is hiding under where the small plastic
> light resepticles cover.  The very light dashes may have showed up on
> some of the 75 or 76 cars.  Anyway the honey walnut finish which TRF has
> tried to replicate is the closest to original you will find.  Also
> remember the original finish was not glossy but satin.
> Good luck\Bob

Bob:

There may be some differences in the wood used for different years, not
sure of this but have read in a couple of places that the French Walnut
is what was used and this is a orangish color. Have you recently (past
year) seen a dash from TRF? I ordered one this spring and immediately
returned it after I opened the box. When I called their support line to
question the color (grayish dark and with a flat satin finish)I was
told this is all they can get for their stock dashes (will do special
order, same price, for other woods, thus my eventual ordering of teak).

When I called Moss Motors and talked to them, the sales person ownes
a '70 TR6 and new exactly what I was talking about and thought their
dash was closer in color. He put me on hold and went to the stock room
to pull a dash. When he got back on the line he indicated that the
walnut
was in fact much too dark and would look into this.  He called me back
the
next day, with much disappointment, to tell me this is the stock they
now
get (same as TRF) and there isn't much they can do about it.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6