New lister; have a question on TR6.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: New lister; have a question on TR6.
From: johnw@wrq.com
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 06:49:13 -0800
     Hey, I'm the new guy to the list. My true love is British motorcycles,
     but my daily driver(s) have been a '69 MGB and a '74 TR6. It's the
     latter to which I turn to you for direction...

     What is the best way to jack up the rear end of the TR6 when you want
     both chassis rails on 'stands? I have used the jack directly on the
     differential, but I am concerned that I am putting excess strain on
     both the body of the dif., and the four "studs" that hold this item in
     place to the body. Can I continue to use the dif. to jack up the car,
     or should I move to the "one-side, then the other-side" method?

     Second question is much more involved. The car has about zero body
     rot, but I still have a solid gap between the door and the rear body
     panels, especially at the top. One would have to imagine a "V" to get
     a picture of the gap from bottom to top. I am told this condition can
     be corrected by replacing the worn rubber between the body and the
     chassis. I can also reduce this gap to nil by raising the rear of the
     car. Is the solution as simple as shimming via new rubber at the rear
     end, or am I looking elsewhere?

     Thanks mightily
     John
     johnw@wrq.com