Re: TR3 Temp Gauge

To: fergie@ntplx.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Temp Gauge
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 06:34:47 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< I have a TR3 that was, until recently, sitting in the PO's yard, quietly
 rusting away, for 10 years or so. The temp gauge is intact, but the
 protective "sleeve" around the sender tube is rusty and somewhat
 brittle. Haven't been able to remove the sender from the thermo housing
 as yet and, before I just clip off the sender tube, I wondered if
 there's a snowball's chance that this thing will actually work without a
 rebuild? I'd like to just remove it intact and find out later (MUCH
 later it would appear!), but since I can't, I'm tempted to just cut it
 off so I can get a socket on the sender. Tried a flare wrench, but no
 go.

 It this point, wire cutters and a socket wrench seem to be the logical
 choice. Should I try to save it or am I wasting my time? As always, I
 appreciate any advice you folks care to share...Thanks!

 Michael Ferguson
 Vernon CT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
To find out if it works all you need do is heat the bulb/sender. You could
just fill a bucket with hot water and pour onto the TS housing, then look to
see if the needle moves. I have tested a number of these animals with the old
pot o' boiling water method, but I had the gauge in hand.
My guess is that even if the thing works now, getting it out intact is going
to be very difficult. And then it may fail in a relatively short time even if
you manage to get it out. The line near the TS housing seems to be a weak spot
on these things.
 My vote is to snip the line and ship to Nisonger!
Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4