Re: TR3/4 engine swap

To: nosimport@mailbag.com
Subject: Re: TR3/4 engine swap
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 17:19:27 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< Some help please. Customer with an early TR3 wants to install a TR4
 engine. Wants to keep TR3 trans and hence bullet nose starter. Therefore
 does he use the 3 flywheel (for the starter) and clutch? (needs to replace
 bad ring gear)  Or the 4 flywheel and clutch and can you unbolt and flip
 the ring gear? What are his options? Where can I point him? Thanks very
 much. Please reply directly as I'm on the digest list.
 Peter C
  no Triumphs...... yet
 Peter Caldwell
 MGC-GT  , 100-4, '31 MM8 Cammy, Innocenti S,
 '52 Champ, '60 L-R 109 SW, 3 '64-73 L-R 88's
 nosimport@mailbag.com >>

The early starter and flywheel go together. Nothing at all to do with the
gearbox. As the early starters are getting harder to find - and more $ - you
may wish to point him towards the TR4 flywheel and starter. Moss lists the
later starter at over $300 and the early one isn't listed at all.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A - with early starter/flywheel and TR4 trans...
62 TR3B - with late starter/flywheel and TR4 trans
64 TR4 - as original