Re: TR3/4 engine swap

To: Peter <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Subject: Re: TR3/4 engine swap
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:11:33 -0600 (CST)
Cc: KTRIUMPH@aol.com, mfrancis@triax.com, fogbros@nb.net, bob_kinderlehrer@net.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Peter wrote:

> Listers,
>       Thanks to the folks above and any others I may have missed. Here is the
> complete story _as told to me_. Customer (to whom I've sold nothing) has a
> Delmar which is a TR3 based limited production car. He needs to replace the
> original engine. He is trying to do it quick and "inexpensive". He has in
> his possession a TR4 engine with a 9-spring clutch. He wants to leave the

        It's adimirable to want o keep the TR3 tranny (granted not wanting
        to remove the fiberglass body is a BIG deterrent), starter not
        withstanding. If he wants drivability, I'd go for yanking the
        whole enchilada and updating all. The TR engine regardless is
        designed that you can get all the perks of a TR4 AND retain the
        original block, and crank (if useable at all). Remember, it's
        a wet sleeve engine. To make a TR4, all you have to do is get a TR4
        cylinder and piston set (or possibly the 87mm big bore kit) and
        possibly a TR4 head (I'm not sure about that though). And viola! a
        TR4. The big advantage to the TR4 tranny is the the synchro into
        first. THAT's a big driveability thingie. If you go to the
        trouble of ether buying or adapting the flywheel to a TR4A clutch
        and get the proper throw out bearing sleeve, any time you have to do
        a clutch job in the future he will save at least $100.

        Of course I'm more in to driving my TR than having a historically
        acurate representation of what came from the factory. Still, all the
        "improvements" are out of sight, so for a concours most of the
        won't changes ding you for points.

        My tuppence

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois