Slave Cylinder placement (was: tr6 clutch low grab)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Slave Cylinder placement (was: tr6 clutch low grab)
From: "econrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:21:32 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <sanborn@net1plus.com>, <CarlSereda@aol.com>
All right.  I apologize for not understanding, but after looking at my
equipment and my Bentley's, Haynes & Moss catalog, I have further questions.

*In the interest of our understanding, let me list some definitions of
descriptions I will probably make up in my explanations:*
*Transmission flange* - the slave cylinder attachment point that bolts up to
the bell housing.
*Slave cylinder bolt plate* - part of the slave cylinder housing through
which the bolts pass through to bolt the slave cylinder to the transmission
flange.

*Now on to the problem:*
I have a 1976 TR6 that, after rebuilding the clutch hydraulic system, has
very low grab on the peddle as well as gear scratch (especially going into
reverse - well grinding when going into reverse).

I used the Bentley manual when placing the slave cylinder through the flange
attached to the transmission.  It shows the slave cylinder with its bolt
holes behind the flange (in other words, it shows the slave cylinder as
having been put through the flange hole from the rear of the car).  However,
the Moss catalog seems to show the reverse of this - with the bolt plate for
the slave cylinder sitting in front of the transmission flange.

Based on several comments from listers, I have given up my thoughts that
this might simply be a system bleeding problem.  Several of you have
mentioned that the slave cylinder's bolt plate should sit in front of the
transmission flange.  Others have mentioned an adjustable slave cylinder
push rod that should solve the problem.

My questions are a few fold:
1) I don't seem to have an adjustable slave cylinder push rod.  At least I
can't find where I would adjust it.  When I had the slave cylinder apart, I
cannot remember any adjustment points.
2) If the slave cylinder is attached with it's bolt plate in front of the
transmission flange, the push rod doesn't seem to want to meet up the clutch
throw lever.  Bentley's shows the slave cylinder bolt plate toward the rear
of the car, but Moss shows it toward the front.
3) I don't seem to have any adjustment at the clutch pedal itself.  After
rebuilding the clutch master cylinder, I also know that there is no
adjustment at the pedal push rod that goes into the clutch master cylinder.
4) All the manuals state in bold letters that the slave cylinder should be
attached to the clutch throw lever in the middle hole.  This I have done.
Could this be a problem?

I thank any and all of you for considering what this problem might be.

Eric Conrad
Denver, CO
econrad@teal.csn.net

1976 TR6        CF52678U