RE: Slave Cylinder placement (was: tr6 clutch low grab)

To: econrad@teal.csn.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Slave Cylinder placement (was: tr6 clutch low grab)
From: Day.John@fin.gc.ca
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 11:40:57 -0400
Hi, Eric. As a former sufferer of clutch problems, I can try my best to
help.

1.      TR6's don't have an adjustable slave rod - the bean-counters got to
that. You can try to find (or buy) an adjustable one for a TR3A (did the
TR4's have them also? I don't know just when they disappeared). This may
provide some optional adjustment.
2.      The slave plate bolts up at the rear. Remember - Bentley is a
reprint of the Factory manual, while Moss is a catalogue, so the latter
likely just switched places in the interest of visibility.
3.      That's right - there is no adjustment at the Master end of things.
One question - do you have a lot of slop/wear at the master rod mount points
on your pedal arms (true for both brake and clutch)? These should be
lubricated lightly on a regular basis; over the years, the metal-on-metal
enlarges the holes, to where you may be losing travel.
4.      Someone on the list months before said that the TR6 uses the middle,
while the Stag used one other and a third model (I forget which) used the
other. Again, not much difference - a few millimetres of travel, but not a
cure.

One trick that can be used is to insert oversize washers or even nuts
between the slave and the tranny flange to 'space' the slave closer to the
cross-shaft mount. This must be done so as not to keep the t/o bearing in
constant contact with the pressure plate - or else!

One final trick often used is to bend back the stop tab (striker plate -
call it what you will) on the back of the clutch pedal arm, to allow a
little more foot travel. Again, perhaps a temporary measure, but may buy
time.

How about the age/miles on the clutch plates? I had a bad B&B pressure
plate, and I currently have a Sachs (from a Volvo) plate in my TR6 (similar
to the TRF 'magic' clutch) - wish I'd done it years ago!