Re: What did I do...elec. prob. w/gauges...MORON !!!

To: Jim Altman <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Subject: Re: What did I do...elec. prob. w/gauges...MORON !!!
From: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 21:41:56 -0500
Cc: "'Triumph list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I've seen quite a lot of this stuff on the temperature compensating
characteristics of the voltage stabilizer, and I'd like to point out a few
things.

First, it's called a "voltage stabilizer" not a "temperature compensator".

Second, have you ever seen your turn signals run slower when it gets cold? I
haven't, and that's essentially what a voltage stabilizer is.

Third, if you run a constant voltage through a gauge, say enough to position it
on the halfway mark, and then run it through temperatures from below freezing
to 90 plus, do you think you'll see a change? You won't. There's no airflow
though the gauge, so it's self heating is adequate to overcome outside
temperatures in normal ranges.

Fourth, the thermal energy generated in the stabilizer and the gauges is
different, so equivalent temperature compensation is not likely.

Lastly, some modern cars use similar thermal gauges. They also used fixed solid
state voltage regulators in place of the voltage stabilizer, and have for
years..

--
George Richardson
The Wyvern - '57 Triumph TR3, TS15559L - http://www.merlingroupinc.com/tr3.htm