RE: The Philosophy of Originality

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: The Philosophy of Originality
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:43:59 -0600

Philip Haldeman wrote:

> Last week, I saw a '52 Plymouth . . . But it had "mag" wheels . . .
> [and] it had a chrome, drilled steering wheel . . . This was a
> travesty of a '51 Plymouth that someone (a "kid" or child-like adult?)
> had gotten his hands on in order to imitate a 1950s kind of thing.

A '52 Plymouth would indeed be "a travesty of a '51 Plymouth", no matter
who'd gotten their hands on it.

But an early fifties Plymouth with "mag" wheels and a chrome, drilled
steering wheel would look like every early fifties Plymouth I ever saw in my
high school parking lot (in the late fifties): unrestored, original
interior, and all the chrome "accessories" that you could buy when you had
an allowance rather than a job.

> Since buying my '72 TR6 many months ago, I've kept (and am
> planning to keep) it as original- looking as possible . . . my feeling is
> that at a certain point the car is no longer a "genuine" '72 TR6.

You'd love mine . . . a combination of '69, '73 and '74 parts. But it's
built of the "best" parts from each year.    :-)

> whoever owns that car is not a designer, and when the
> factory hired a designer, they hired someone who understood
> pattern and style.

This IS the Triumph list, isn't it?

Jim Hill
Madison WI