Hagerty Insurance

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hagerty Insurance
From: Drew Rogge <drew@pixar.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 07:53:17 -0800
Cc: auto@hagerty.com

Hi everyone,

I promise that this will be my last message regarding Hagerty
Insurance. That is unless I post another one.

I talked with someone from Hagerty yesterday and they weren't
a good fit for me. Although nothing I've seen or heard gave
any hard and fast limits as to what I can or can't use my TR3
for, the person on the phone said that the type of client they're
looking for:

   would use the car for not much more than 2,500 miles a year

   not drive the car to work more that once or twice a year

   not use the car for performing errands

   not leave the car unattended in a parking lot

These weren't hard and fast rules but she said that if a client
was found to be using the car significantly different from the
above they might be asked to use a different insurer the next
year.

When I tried to have the agent explain to me what restrictions
exist the best she could do was to read to me their definition
of what a classic car is. It started out with the fact that the
car needed to be at least 25 years old and then went on to describe
what a "classic car" is typicaly used for. I don't remember exactly
what the description said but the gist seemed to be that classic
cars aren't used for normal day to day activities even if not on
a daily basis. I think this definition was contained in either
Hagerty's policy or the application for coverage but Hagerty
was unwilling to send me a copy of their policy I don't know
for sure. I would be interested if someone who has access to
Hagerty's policy could check it to see if this definition is
there or not.

So, my take on Hagerty is that their policy is pretty much like
other classic car insurers (2500 mile limit, to shows and parades
only) but Hagerty allows a bit more flexibility. This is a good thing
mind you but I don't think they would like me driving my car to
work any time it isn't raining and isn't hot enough to cause the
car to overheat. How they feel about something special like British
Car Week or rallys I don't know.

One thing that the agent did say that has me concerned is that
when I mentioned what I had heard what some of Hagerty's agents
had said to other people over the phones, she said that different
agents may say different things. This concerns me but remember that
regardless of what someone says on the phone or even in person it's
the policy which really defines what you are agreeing to.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing more against Hagerty than I do
against the insurance industry in general (insurance companys are
my favorite organizations) and if you can limit your use of your
car then Hagerty may be a better match that other classic car
insurers. But, it just doesn't work for me.

Drew

PS. I CC'ing a copy of this mail to one of Hagerty's email addresses.
Hopefully they'll see it and tell me I'm wrong and that I can get
coverage for my car and use it pretty much however and how often I
want. Doubt it but one can always hope.

--
Drew Rogge
drew@pixar.com