Re: ready to have frame sandblasted (TR3)

To: danb@thelittlemacshop.com
Subject: Re: ready to have frame sandblasted (TR3)
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 18:31:43 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
danb@thelittlemacshop.com writes:

<< I've got my TR3 frame down to greasy and slightly rusty metal, and a
 nearby operation has quoted me $40-50 to have it sandblasted clean.
 Seems like a great price to me, so I'm going to roll it out some
 weekend very soon and check it for straightness, then probably cart
 it off.

 But, for those who have been there done that, is there anything I
 should beware of?  I'm a little concerned about sand getting inside
 the box sections -- do I need to worry?  How to prevent it?  And
 should I try taping off the front suspension pivots, so that the
 metal surface isn't damaged?

Dan

$50 to blast a frame is a deal! I took a whole day to do mine and that was
with a pressure blaster. Nasty, nasty job!
Recommend any welding be done beforehand, or even any suspect areas. Blasting
will turn nominal spots into holes, fast.
You can try putting the old metal sleeves on the front suspension posts if
you still have them, and then wrapping with duct tape. Sand tends to bounce
off this stuff. Probably a good idea to run the nut onto the ends as well.
Would not be too concerned about sand in the frame. Most can be poured or
blown out. You'll probably never get it all out.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4