Re: ready to have frame sandblasted (TR3)

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ready to have frame sandblasted (TR3)
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 18:38:53 -0400
Joe Curry wrote:

> Dan,
> Having recently had the tub of Tiny Tim blasted (outside with beads, inside
>with sand), I can tell you that I have been using the
> compressure and vacuum cleaner for the last couple of weeks trying to get all
>the excess sand out of every nook and cranny on the
> body.  I wanted to get all the layers of paint off to save weight, but So Far
>I figure that I have gotten at least 20 pounds of sand
> out.  Hopefully, it is pretty well clean.
>
> I doubt any form of tape will cover the holes.  That sand eats through bondo
>and practically anything else that us there, so tape won't
> even slow it down.
>
> Regards,
> Joe
>
> Dan Buettner wrote:
> >
> > Whew.  Haven't been paying as much attention to the list lately as I
> > should; sorry, folks -- lots of spring work to do on the house (with
> > still a lot left!).  But I have to make some time for the TR3, as I'm
> > starting to feel like I'm neglecting it.
> >
> > I've got my TR3 frame down to greasy and slightly rusty metal, and a
> > nearby operation has quoted me $40-50 to have it sandblasted clean.
> > Seems like a great price to me, so I'm going to roll it out some
> > weekend very soon and check it for straightness, then probably cart
> > it off.
> >
> > But, for those who have been there done that, is there anything I
> > should beware of?  I'm a little concerned about sand getting inside
> > the box sections -- do I need to worry?  How to prevent it?  And
> > should I try taping off the front suspension pivots, so that the
> > metal surface isn't damaged?
> >
> > And finally -- I plan on trying Bill Hirsch's miracle paint on it ...
> > but could someone forward me the URL or phone number?  I've misplaced
> > the information.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Dan

Dan,

I agree with Joe, blasting media usually gets everywhere and it comes out
verrrrrry slowly.  Usually just when you think you have the whole
thing clean and you go to spray on a finish is about the time that last little
bit of media decides to blow free.

On frames, the best thing I've found is to leave everything open and don't
worry about it until you get it back.  Once you've picked it up
from the blaster's, get a buddy to help you and stand the frame up on it's end
- if you have an old scrap of plywood to lay down first it
helps to avoid scratching the ends of the rails.  Do it outside unless you have
11 foot ceilings.  Next, beat vigorously every inch of the
box sections with a rubber mallet.  Whack at it from both sides.  When done,
then flip over on the other end and repeat - you'll be amazed
at the amount of junk that comes out - usually about 3 or 4 dust pans full!

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars