Re: switched Fan -- more than you wanted to know?

Subject: Re: switched Fan -- more than you wanted to know?
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 07:07:32 -0700
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
David Massey wrote:

> A thermosiphon works very well in a system designed to take advantage of
> it.  The Austin 10 uses a thermosiphon and has no water pump at all.  I
> think the Model T does as well.

The Model T's thermosiphon worked reasonably well, but a belt-driven
water pump was a popular aftermarket accessory.  Curiously enough, if
the pump belt broke, the engine would overheat.

> Certainly not GM who's Citation and other early
> FWD cars had cooling fans running right off the battery (after the key was
> off).

I own a 1980 Citation, and it's radiator fan shuts off with the key.  So
did my sister's Ford Escort.  In addition to the safety issue (which
everyone knows Americans are obsessed with), use of a fan relay seems
common on cars that use the same fan to move air across the (optional)
air conditioning condensor.  Once you have the relay, shutting the fan
down with the key adds no complexity ...

Randall