Re: switched Fan -- more than you wanted to know?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: switched Fan -- more than you wanted to know?
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:55:58 -0700 |July 24, 2000) at 04/05/2001 01:53:41 PM
Listers,

At a Model T owner for the past 20 years, let me just say that the stock
Model T uses a thermosiphon cooling system.  It also has a belt driven fan
but no water pump.  The latter were after market accessories.

The reason for overheating with an inactive water pump was that the
impeller inside the pump restricted the water flow to the radiator!!

Dave
Ramona, Ca
1970 TR6 PI
1922 Model T

> A thermosiphon works very well in a system designed to take advantage of
> it.  The Austin 10 uses a thermosiphon and has no water pump at all.  I
> think the Model T does as well.

The Model T's thermosiphon worked reasonably well, but a belt-driven
water pump was a popular aftermarket accessory.  Curiously enough, if
the pump belt broke, the engine would overheat.