Re: TR6s vs. whatever

To: Dennis N Culligan <dncullig@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: TR6s vs. whatever
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 17:58:57 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dennis N Culligan wrote:

>      I brought this up once before and was roundly accused of blasphemy,
> but during the 1994 VTR Convention in Rockford,Il, Bob Kamholtz set up
> a "Banzai Run" at a local airstrip.  He sat near one end with a radar gun
> and a bunch of us went as fast as we could, from a standing start, from
> one end to the other.  My TR6, which took 2nd in class in the Autocross
> that year, was soundly beaten in the "Banzai Run" by a young lady in a
> Chrysler minivan (though I firmly contend that I had more fun).  It should
> be noted that the airport runway was not all that long, and that I had
> reached higher speeds out on the road on the way to the airport that
> morning than I did during the "Run".

  I agree with this, and as well often get accused of
"blasphemy" when I point it out.

  However, numbers don't lie. Most period reviews of the
carb'ed TR6s put the 0-60 time at under 11 seconds, but
just barely (10.7-ish)

  If you go to a web site like carpoint and look at
the current offerings, about the only cars that WON'T
beat that are low end minivans. As you learned in
Rockford, the high-end minivans will leave you for
dead.

  Inevitably when this point comes up everyone chimes
in at how their cars do 150mph or 0-60 in 3 seconds, but
we all love to dream don't we. Ditch the 25 year old
speedometer, get out a radar gun, and call us back in a
week. ;>

  As well, sadly, a lot of the Neons and minivans dusting
us at stop signs are automatic transmission cars, so it
isn't even something we can overcome with skill. If
they can point their right foot and hang on, we see
taillights.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca