Re: TR6s vs. whatever

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6s vs. whatever
From: "Joe Donovan" <jdonovan@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 21:11:18 -0400
There's no comparison between a TR and a Neon.   The performance figures
really are irrelevant.    I just bought an Audi A6 biturbo for a daily
driver.   It's a very elegant automobile and a fabulous driver's car.    On
a track it would probably lap a TR-6 every other lap.   But which has more
character?    My '73 TR-6 is not really a '70's car but a '50's car.   The
appeal is the beauty of the design and the primitive mechanical character of
the machine.   At 40 mph in third gear it feels on the edge.      A modern
performance machine like the A6 isn't even working hard unless you are in
danger of losing your license to the State Police.

Also, there is this very bad worldwide phenomenon that might be called the
homogenization of everything.     The TRs are a last gap statement against
it.    The oil filler cap that has "Duckham"s" embossed on it tells a tale
about a time when English cars were English, and so on.

And let's face it, they're just plain fun to drive!