Re: Late Late Night Frustrations!

To: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Subject: Re: Late Late Night Frustrations!
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 08:15:16 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> I would look for a root cause that is eating the bearings.  Maybe
> the clutch housing... is it a diaphragm or the earlier 3-finger
> type.  Is the front cover smooth and letting the TOB bushing to
> slide back. Or is the clutch actuating rod not adjusted with the
> enough play.  Do you have a return spring on the clutch slave
> assembly?

Hi Brian,

The second time I re-did the clutch, everything was replaced again.  Doubled
the bushings on each side for the cross shaft, new cross shaft (well after
the other new one from TRF wouldn't fit, sourced an NOS one), new TOB
carrier, new TOB, new clutch pin (modified), new clutch fork with carrier
pins... refurbished pedal pushrod.  Slave cylinder and it's pushrod were
replaced 12 months prior, still in good order.  New clevis pins everywhere
again.

Also undid the cover (B&B with the kinked fingers, actually works fine),
again, made sure all was in order with it and the clutch plate.  Pilot
bushing I put in the last time was still showing no signs of wear, realigned
and rebolted everything back on there.

The TR6's don't have the adjustable pushrods, although that doesn't change
the length of the throw... just the point of disengagement and engagement.
Either way, I know everything is in working order down there when I
reassembled.  TOB carrier slid perfectly (well once I figured out the TRF
cross shaft was defective and got the other).  The front cover nose which
the carrier rides one was also lubed.

See I was determined that there wouldn't be a third time for all of this
when I did it the second time, thus the over replacement and doubling up on
fast wearing parts (the bushes).

Maybe I should source my throw out bearings from Boston... as it seems
everyone else gets the defective ones that fail within a limited mileage.

The engine comes out to be replaced with the rebuilt one (well, once it is
actually in a state of completedness) sometime this summer, guess you all
know what other things will get attention while the motor is being swapped!

Kai
1974 TR6