Re: TR4 White

To: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 White
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 09:48:08 -0000
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jonmac wrote:
>Sorry, Michael -
>>the flowlines of 40 years ago didn't easily adapt to dealing with
>>things "that happened to be lying around looking for a home"
>>especially if its paint <smile> Modern ones may well be an
>>improvement?

Michael Gajic replied:
>Well, it was just a suggestion ;-) Also, our local Classic Car
magazine has
>a Mk11 Jag on the cover. It is Signal Red, a non-factory colour for
Jags,
>but the story claims that you could get any colour you wanted form
the Jag
>factory, presumably as a 'special order'.

Very true - what's more at Jaguar, the non-standard car was painted in
that one-off as it went through the booth. In my very early working
life at Jaguar, I remember seeing an E type for a popstar in sugar
pink! There was a penalty by doing it this way for the customer - and
it was money. A lot of money!

What would have been done on such
>cars, would they have changed the whole production line for this one
off
>(which I seriously doubt) or would it have contracted outside of the
>factory? Were there such 'special orders' available for Triumphs?

Yes - but not done in production. Ffirst they painted it in white,
(but not the "lying around white" :-)) and then the car went to the
Allesley Service Division where it was stripped to a bare sheel and
repainted. Then they put it all back together again! Needless to say,
this cost quite a lot of money as well :-)

>Its good to see Jag owners admitting to the superiority of a Triumph
colour,
>or anything Triumph for that matter ;-)

Well, they ought to. High time for a bit of servility and forelock
touching needed on that one. Too many Jaguar owners *conveniently*
overlook the fact that the XK engine had its antecedents in the
Standard Motor Co 6 pot engine of the mid 1930's and wasn't SS oft
quoted as meaning Standard Swallow? Apart from that snazzy looking
twin cam top end and lots of polished ally, there wasn't too much
difference <tongue in cheek> - much along the lines of that old wet
liner 4 pot lump you find in a Ferguson tractor, Standard Vanguard and
those two seater thingies that had a degree of popularity in the
western colonies up to about 1967. Flame suit on

Cheers, John