Re: anti theft ideas

To: lstein6@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: anti theft ideas
From: Steven Newell <newellsteven@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:34:42 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
--- lstein6@earthlink.net wrote:
> my 72 gt6 is coming back from the paint shop soon.
> it will have an expensive paint job on it.  i don't
> even want anyone leaning on it, like some kids, and
> scratching it.  i need to do some good anti theft
> ideas. [and he asked about electric fuel pumps, and
> bonnet locks].

In reverse order, you asked about electric fuel pump
location. On my bastard bugeye, the PO had installed
the fuel pump near the fuel tank, happened to be right
above the rear diff. Crossed a railroad track pretty
fast and crushed the pump. Didn't make any noise after
that. Wouldn't be safe or handy, but that could be a
nice quiet place to install your fuel pump. <g>

The theft question has gone round before and can be
argued all different ways. Here's how I assess the
risks to my Triumph:

1. vandalism (medium to low)
2. theft for joyriding (low)
3. theft for profit (very low)
4. other loss (medium)

How I manage these risks:

1. vandalism: I do nothing. Denver doesn't seem to
have a big vandalism problem. I've heard of ugly auto
vandalism in Europe, but Denver isn't very friendly to
pedestrians and we might have professional soccer but
no-one goes so there are few soccer hooligans about.
Honestly those "step back from the car" alarms make ME
want to jump up and down on the car, and I'm a sweet
guy. I'll bet they draw vandals like moths to flame.

I know the neighborhood kids and their parents, and a
cop lives three doors up. Not everyone can have a cop
next door I guess, but I also don't flip off other
drivers who might follow me home (except for Eric
Conrad's brother when he cut me off, but I didn't know
that was him and he didn't see me when he pulled out.
<g> And I really just waved vigorously). I park on the
street in town and valet park occassionally. 15K
miles, no problem. But then my car doesn't have a
union jack painted on it, that might attract a little
more attention. ;-)

Never had the top slashed -- it's almost never up --
but then the doors aren't locked since there's nothing
of value to steal inside. I thought kids were stealing
the alloy wheel caps from our Discovery, but the
dealer says they just fall off. If I lived on the
coasts I'd be more worried for sure.

2. theft for joyriding: this could happen, but though
my car would be easy to hotwire it's harder to find
reverse. <g> I carry insurance. For the year when I
parked the TR4 in a garage downtown, I parked next to
a Porsche 911. Which would you choose for a fast
illegal drive? A bonnet lock might help, but I figure
if someone wants to steal it they won't mind damaging
the car trying. I literally don't lock the car (except
for the boot if my laptop is inside) though I don't
leave the key in the ignition like Fred.

3. theft for profit: my car's worth $10K or so to a
motivated buyer. I figure any professional thief will
take the 911. Unless someone mistakes it for an Aston
Martin or big Healey somehow.... At night my car's in
the garage blocked in by the Disco, worth more anyway.

4. other loss: fire would suck, also drunk drivers in
my neighborhood. I carry insurance and park
off-street. In an apartment complex I'd be more
worried about where I parked -- considering moron's
parking cars and and crashing after Friday night
parties. That's your high probability risk, and an
alarm won't help.

Steven
Denver, CO USA
'62 TR4