Re: 1st car

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1st car
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:21:07 -0000
A digest (almost) totally dedicated to one subject. A fascinating and
pleasant change.
My first horseless carriage was a 1948 MG TC, acquired in 1962 for GBP275 -
about $670 at exchange rates of the time. It was red (of course), had plenty
of in-built oil leaks and I loved it dearly. Towards the end of my training
at Jaguar, it took me to Austria for a year where I worked for the main
importer. During that time, we explored all of Austria including the
mountain passes with impressive brake fade on the front drums and made
periodic forays into Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia and southern
Poland. Many dirt roads and many more main roads that hadn't been repaired
since the war and it didn't take long to appreciate that many European roads
and Abingdon suspension were inconsistent bedfellows! But nothing broke and
it never missed a beat. It made a raucous noise that always upset the police
and the Frauleins loved it - especially with the windscreen folded flat.
That car catapulted more women into my lap (and bed) than any Triumph ever
did later on!
I sold it with much regret in 1965 for a frog-eye Sprite - and it was gone,
for ever.
Not quite.
Last year at a classic car show I saw it for sale - at GBP13500 - $20,000.
Superbly restored over 10 years and by the guy I'd sold it to in 1965. He'd
run it into the ground but had loved it so much he swore he'd never sell it
but imminent retirement and down-sizing the family home meant it had to go.
For old times sake, he most generously let me take it out for a ten mile run
on my own and it was as difficult as hell not to tell myself I ought to buy
it. I believe it's now in the States, so if anyone knows of FKC 876, say
'hello'
 - please

Jonmac