1st car

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 1st car
From: Joe Merone <jmerone@rocketmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 13:55:51 -0800 (PST)
Here's my story.  On the day after my 18th birthday in 1975 I paid $600 for a
1967 Camaro convertible - the first year Chevy made that model.   A horrible
re-paint dark brown with gold interior, 327 four-speed, and F 60 x 14 tires on
chrome reverse (remember them?) wheels.  A bashed in right rear quarter panel
had been pulled out with the holes making it look like it had been machine
gunned.  What a junk!  But I had to have it and would have paid anything at the
time.  It was a hot convertible, love is blind and I was a kid in lust.

The car went through a quart of 40-weight every 150 miles, leaked pretty good,
and blew the rear end within a month.  I changed the gears in the diff myself
in my parents driveway - I think that the gear oil slick is still there.
Problems continued.  The car sometimes left me - and girlfriends - stand ed,
but it helped me to hone my mechanical skills and a taught me a lot of
self-reliance.  The perfect thing for an eventual Triumph owner.

We lasted a full one year and even went off to college together before I sold
it to a local who probably appreciated what it was to eventually become more
than me at the time.  Boy do I wish I still had that car!  But how many of us
say that?

Joe Merone
CF18928